Lonnie Makes Room For The Monster Tires!
Progress has been good, although I had to change my mind and go to coil over shocks. You can see in the photos how I reinforced the frame where the cross member will weld in to give the upper mount location. You can also see the mounts I built for the shocks. In the photo that shows the rebuilt wheel well that allows room for the rear tire you can see the cross member that will carry the rear suspension.
The tires I am using are Toyo Proxes R888R they are street legal road race tires, they will not wear very well but they will stick. My first choice was 205x55xzr16 they fit on the back but looking at them I felt they would not hold the power. Next I went with 255x50xzr16 it looks like they will hold but there was not the fender clearance to use them. My body guy Jeff worked his magic and widened the rear fender to make room by cutting the quarter panel free and jacking it out by doing this all factory body lines are saved. The rear fenders were made 2 3/4 wider per side to make room for the bigger rear tires.
With the body work done 4 inch tubes were fitted through the outside skin to bring cool air to the motor. The finished scoops look great. You can get an idea of how much we widened the fender. The panel from under the scoop to the bottom of the car was made new to keep body lines. Look at the fender lip you can see how wider they are at the bottom.
The front fenders have been modified so as to blend in with the body work done to the rear fenders. At last the body is ready to go to the sand blasters this is a big step as I can begin to see the end of this build however a lot of work yet to be done.
October, 2019 Update
I had the car sandblasted. When this is done, you see all the bad areas that need work. Putting the body on a rotisserie made it easy to fix everything
January, 2020 Update
March, 2020 Update
Knowing that the box built around the motor has no air flow around it I had to solve two problems, first was cool air to the motor, second was hot air around the engine itself. Cool air to the motor was taken care of. So to bring cool air around the engine I used the air scoops over the rear tires to bring the outside air in. I built flanges out of stainless cut and fit stainless u bends and welded it all together. The flanges bolt to the side of the dog house on both sides.